Monday 27 June 2016

Sashiko and applique in Dunfermline


Saturday was fun with Busy Bees in Dunfermline, where we combined sashiko with needleturn applique to make these lovely panels.  Having a choice between applique or reverse applique means we could use some of the thicker sashiko fabrics for the circles as well as lighter weight ones.  There were lots of variations on chrysanthemums in sashiko too, with everyone cutting their own templates.


We tried out the new Aurifil #80 cotton thread for the applique and it was amazing - it was so invisible, I couldn't use it to demo the needleturn stitches, because no one could see my stitches at all!  That was quite funny, because I had to switch to a #40 thread in a contrasting colour just so everyone could see my stitching.  This lovely new thread is going to be available in August.  It comes on cute little wooden spools.  I also want to try it out for miniatures.


I am going to add this workshop to my main workshop list.  It worked very well in terms of how long it took to do and was a relaxing day.


On Friday I was at The Peacock and the Tortoise in Perth, where we had an Introduction to Shonai Sashiko class.  With 10, we were full and I didn't get a chance to take photos.  Maybe some of the students who came could send me photos of their completed samples?

No comments: