Friday 5 July 2013

Sidmouth quilt revisited - (part 3?)



I haven't added much to my version of the Sidmouth quilt for a few weeks, as I've been sewing potholders (more about those in future).  I've added the larger hourglass or X block borders and it turned out that the pale pink border with the orange cornerstones did need 1/4in trimming off it after all.

The patchwork has been hanging up on clippie coathangers over the curtain rail for most of that time.  I like having a work in progress where I can see it often and think about how I'm going to quilt it.  That's how I spotted that the right hand small hourglass border was on upside down.  Maybe that doesn't seem all that important, but compare the two photos below - the border strip is the wrong way up in the first photo.


The hourglass border has two blocks that use the orange cornerstones fabric.  While I'm not trying to make a piece for piece exact copy, but more of a 'twin' of the original, I felt that having that there was too much orange in the top half of the patchwork with the border upside down, so I unpicked it and turned it around.  Of course, I hadn't noticed it was the wrong way up before I added the pale pink border (actually mostly red on white mini prints), so that had to come off too...  I think it was worth it though, as that detail would have bugged me every time I looked at the finished quilt!

I've been thinking about the 'modern' colourway version of this and it is most likely going to be black and white prints, perhaps with a touch of red (replacing those orange cornerstones maybe?)  At the moment, that is winning over the idea of a shirting stripe version.

No comments: