Friday, 30 September 2016

The Kimono Closet blog

Sheila Cliffe, kimono stylist extraordinaire, has started a new blog, The Kimono Closet.  Highly recommended!

Her new book, 'The Social Life of Kimono', will be published on 23rd March 2017.

Sashiko courses in Perth and Stockton-on-Tees

The next sashiko course at Edinburgh patchwork will be starting on 8th October and it has been fully booked for a while now. 

I will be running another course in Scotland starting quite soon - at The Peacock and the Tortoise in Perth.  I've been teaching introductory sashiko day workshops there for a few years and it is great to have the opportunity to run the course quite close to home.  It will be on Thursdays, with the following dates -  2nd, 16th, 30th March; 13th, 27th April; 25th May; 8th and 15th June.  Some of the classes are slightly closer together than usual, as they have patchwork classes using their workroom on the alternate weeks.  Booking will be via the shop.  If you can't wait for that course to begin and would like a head start, I am also doing an Introduction to Shonai Sashiko one day course on Friday 21st October, at the same shop.

I've been visiting my mum quite a lot over the summer and have come up with a plan to teach my sashiko course in Stockton-on-Tees next year.  I have found a great venue - All Saints Church, in Hartburn, Stockton-on-Tees, which is just off the A66.  It used to be the village school and is a well lit space, just right for a hand sewing group.  My plan is to run the class on a weekday, possibly a Tuesday, and at roughly one month intervals, with a break for Christmas and New Year, starting in mid September. I will be handling all the bookings for that, so if you are interested, please e mail through my website.

The gorgeous sampler at the top of this post was stitched by Hazel Clark, who came to the course I taught at Kaleidoscope earlier this year.  We will run the course again there sometime in the future, but we need to discuss possible dates first.

Plus, there will be a chance to see sashiko samplers made by students on all four of my longer courses so far, at the Spring Quilt Festivals with Grosvenor Shows around the UK, starting at Ardingly in January and finishing at Exeter in April.

Thursday, 29 September 2016

The Spring Quilt Festival will be coming to Harrogate!

I have just had some exciting news from Grosvenor Shows.  The Spring Quilt Festival will be coming to Harrogate next year, from 24th to 26th February, in the same venue as the Great Northern Quilt Show.  I am planning to be there.

This also means that the Spring Quilt Festival at Edinburgh will move to the previous weekend, 17th to 19th February.  This is due to the move from the MacRobert Pavilion into the new Lowland Hall - the excellent venue we were in last weekend for the Scottish Quilt Championships.  So I am planning to do both shows, one weekend after the other.

Yuza Sashiko current exhibition at the Sanno Club, Sakata

My friend Reiko Domon has posted these wonderful photos of Yuza Sashiko Guild's current exhibition at the Sanno Club in Sakata on her Facebook page and I am sure she will not mind me showing you them here!  If you are in Sakata before the exhibition closes on October 10th, it is not to be missed.

I was there for the exhibition in 2014 - you can see photos and videos of that one here. The small sampler on the right above is from my final course at The Studio, Loch Lomond.  I hope to take some of last year's student pieces to Japan next time Yuza Sashiko Guild have an exhibition at the Sanno Club.  It is a beautiful old building and perfect for exhibitions.

Wednesday, 28 September 2016

Scottish Quilt Championships - part 3

Here are two quilts that weren't in the competition.  The first was made from my 'Japanese Taupe Quilt Blocks' book and is quilt as you go.  Amazing!  A lot of the blocks look so like the ones I made, it gives me a real sense of deja vu!

The second quilt is an antique Log Cabin owned by Gilly Thomson of Kekfesto Cotton, the Hungarian blue print cotton store.  It has a great selection of Turkey Red prints and shirtings - makes me want to make the Turkey Red Log Cabin I've been planning for years!

Many of the dark blue fabrics are so similar to Gilly's cottons, I can see why she had to have this quilt!  It was recently shown at Festival of Quilts, in the Quilters' Guild's Traditional Group's exhibit.

Here's a photo from Festival, courtesy of Lorchen Nunn -

Quilts from the Scottish Quilt Championships - part 2

This sampler quilt must have caused more than a few visitors to do a double take, as a very similar quilt won the Great Northern Quilt Show only a few weeks before.

This is the one from Harrogate - 

It would be great to see them shown together sometime.

Quilts in the 'Modern Quilt' style are becoming more popular.  The winner of the Group category was a refreshing change from the usual kinds of winner, as 'panel' quilts seem to have dominated at many shows in recent years (which IMHO aren't proper group quilts really, when each strip is made by an individual)

 More minimalist but perfectly done quilting on this beauty.

This was another contender for my Judge's Choice award.  The silks and quilting glowed.  Very hard to photograph well!  Fabulous quilting but also stunning piecing, all in silk, from Kay Bell.

Hand quilting and embellishment from Frieda Oxenham.  The embellishments were a fully integrated part of the design, as usual from Frieda.  There were quite a few quilts with beads, crystals etc. but with this one, they were 50% of the design and the quilt wouldn't work without them.

This very textured blackhouse pictorial quilt was one of our favourites at the Great Northern Quilt Show and it was lovely to see it again.  Amazing use of materials.